Wednesday, March 19, 2008

American Day?



Monday was St. Patrick's Day!!! In short, it taught a brief lesson about Holiday colonization. I had SEVERAL white co-workers who were surprised to see me not adorning something green. Yes, the ladies pinched, the men asked, "what, no green today?" Its almost like they expected me to honor the holiday even though I'm not Irish. Yes, I'm a Boston Celtics fan, but damn!!! In contrast, I've never walked around the office saying, "Where's my gift, its the third day of Kwanzaa, you don't celebrate it?"

What really brought attention to the revelation was when a white co-worker called me unpatriotic for not wearing green on St. Patrick's Day. Next Juneteenth, I'll walk up to her with my American flag and ask why she isn't celebrating the REAL day of independence when ALL Americans were actually free. I wonder what her response will be, regardless, I'll call her unpatriotic for not acknowledging her ancestors place in slavery. How about that there?

Amen walls!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home