Friday, March 21, 2008

The Obama Effect




I've been covering the campaign of Obama--the mishaps, the triumphs and most recently, his speech on race. Experiencing his words, which were not as eloquent as Dr. King's I Have a Dream speech, has caused a bit of introspection to the point where I've asked myself the following question: Do I know any white persons that I can call a true friend or have I primarily been experiencing whiteness, but never on an intimate level?

The answer to the question is no, I've yet to know a white person I feel I can call a friend on an intimate level. Upon further self-exploration, I don't know how this realization makes me feel. I wonder if I have not been diligent enough in making myself available for white friendship? I contemplate whether I should feel guilty for not having developed friendships with white people? In retrospect, what have I missed by not developing those friendships? Is it my responsibility to reach out to white people in effort to build relationships?

Obama mentioned the state of both Black/White resentment, what is my role in diffusing it, eliminating stereotypes and making an effort to close the gap of understanding concerning our two cultures? In building a legacy, is it necessary for African Americans to build bridges which reach into the white community, if not for us, for our children? In directly connecting our ultimate success to "who we know", how important is it that most of those persons be white?

I have a million questions...

In short, I guess I regret not being able to have an honest dialogue, with a white friend, about the status of race relations in America. How do any of you feel concerning the thoughts I've shared? I'd love to read your comments...

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I have a million questions to add to your million! Race is a very complex issue. But we try to simplify it by making it black or white.
Who is in your circle of "friends"? Just black? Do you have friends who are Asian or Hispanic or even black from another part of the world?
My point is, I think that we need to take a hard look at ourselves first before we can be really honest and open. No real friendships exist without some vulnerability or risk that we may get hurt. Eventually the experience will lead to a certain level of trust that diffuses the tension.

Saturday, July 12, 2008 at 5:14:00 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home