Monday, November 05, 2007

Colonization Is Alive & Well

Yesterday, my daughter told me she wanted blonde hair. I was not appalled, she's transitioning into her first pre-dominantly white private school where she is only one of two African American children. Luckily, she's been immersed in "blackness", almost too much, so I can understand her curiosity with what is appearing foreign. The good news is her speech, which was becoming Ghetto fab after a stint in the YMCA Summer school program, is evolving. No more "Pop, Lock and Drop It", songs are being sung when I pick her up, though her singing Hanna Montana isn't necessarily my first choice. In assessing her comments, I'm realizing one thing; either my children will be educated in private schools where they run the risk of losing their racial identity or attend inferior public schools which will have them ultimately ill prepared for college.
The bottom line is, I'd rather my children attempt to mimic whiteness than adopt niggerish ways. I too, like Chris Rock, "love black folk, but I hate niggers..."

2 Comments:

Blogger Lyrically speaking said...

Hmmmmmmmm, interesting cause my daughter has this obsession with straight, long hair and also she prefers white dolls which could be offensive to many black women out there but to me it's a phase. I do teach her to appreciate who she is. You don't have to be ghetto or like you said "niggerish" to appreciate your culture

Thursday, November 15, 2007 at 7:15:00 AM CST  
Blogger Blu Jewel said...

my daughter is biracial and seems to identify more with her black than white side. ironically, she looks Puerto Rican and blends well in that environment. I let her be who she is and structure her with the foundation of maintaining her uniqueness and not feeling the need to conform one way or another.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 at 9:18:00 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home