Friday, September 28, 2007

America v. Hip Hop
















I stopped watching BET years ago after they wrongly terminated Tavis Smiley, scrapped Teen Summit and basically began to force videos to the forefront, thus, eliminating the positive/negative balance that is ultimately African American culture. As a former artist, this week, I made an effort to watch the America v. Hip Hop townhall meetings. It was absolutely eye-opening from the standpoint of an absence of both East, West coast emcees as well as record executives. However, the series was extremely informative in that there was a variety of topics covered: Is Hip Hop for Sale?, exploring the N-word and the differences between Civil Rights and Hip Hop generations.

The most fascinating segment dealt with discussing the origin of the N-word, after watching it, I've decided to actively not use it. As a parent, I have become more conservative, more aware of my actions, however, as a passionate supporter of Hip Hop, I knowingly justified all that is Hip Hop is based on freedom of speech. I do realize there are bitches, whores (male, female alike) and niggers in society, in my immediate circle and definitely surrounding me. I will neither allow my children to use the words nor do I want them called a bitch, whore or nigger. Admittedly, I am divided. As an adult, I use and apply the words to individuals who exhibit the behaviors associated with "those" type of persons. If I see a bitch, I say a bitch. If I see a nigger, I say a nigger (usually). As a writer, I realize the power of words, how they can shatter self-esteem, build confidence or simply defame. Do I think Hip Hop artists should censor themselves, Hell Nawl! Do I think Hip Hop artists are responsible for the actions of their listeners, Hell Nawl! Do I think the images found in the videos of Hip Hop artists are damaging to the collective BLACK psyche, Hell Yes, which is why I'm turning over a new leaf.

I've only purchased two Hip Hop cd's this year, Graduation & Curtis, but only because I wanted to be apart of history. Kanye is killing 50, but only because he is choosing to grow on wax, expose and expand himself while putting together some of the tightest track a Hip Hop cd has ever offered. Normally, I'm a disc burnologist because I refuse to pay for an entire cd of wack music; stick to the mix cd!!!!

...to make a long rant short, Hip Hop has potential, but because its currently in a materialistic phase I agree with Nas...Hip Hop is Dead!

1 Comments:

Blogger Lyrically speaking said...

Hmmmmmmmmm, I haven't purchased any Hip Hop cds', i'm leaning more towards the Jill Scott's and Alicia Key's. To me Hip hop is not at all what it used to be, it's been raped over and over and left to die. As for BET, you're right, the videos are ridiculous, I remember Teen Summit, it was a healthy dose for many young ones, now all you see is junk food on BET.

Thursday, October 4, 2007 at 6:01:00 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home