Monday, July 17, 2006

(Untitled)

Ruination of Indulgence

“Damn, I’d fck the shyte out of her!”

…was the last utterances I heard whispered,
seemingly flippant words exchanged between male friends,
during my exit of Starbuck’s where everyday I pay
seven dollars, fifty-six cents
to purchase my favorite beverage,
Choco-moco-latte,
why, because it thickens my caché,
plus its strong, black and steamy
exactly similar to the men I love, like, lust,
just open my mouth and enjoy both, mmmmm.

I digress, door opens, door closes…

fumbling with these car door keys,
in a rush to leave,
I stopped to contemplate the disrespect
never mind heading to the date I should’ve cancelled,
damn you speak of me so ineffectual,
so sexual, especially considering the contextual,
in public,
business establishment,
talking loud enough for subconscious registering,
but not enough to stir about a reaction?

I digress, door opens, door closes…

Headed back in, drink spilling,
slightly burning,
trembling hands becoming stiller with each step toward a man
who objectified me in the illest of terms,

HE WILL LEARN A LESSON TODAY

ME: “Excuse me, did I hear you say you’d fck
the shyte out of me?”


HIM: “No, I was speaking of the white girl seated
on the couch in the corner, you’re wrong to assume
I was speaking of you. I don’t date black women.”

LESSON LEARNED


…I went back to register, quickly though hesitant,
returning the latte to the attendant,
“this is the wrong order, it belongs to the blonde
seated on the couch in the corner.”

Exiting the establishment still thirsty, I thought,
“Maybe an Icy will do, something nice
and cold to remind me of my least favorite
indulgence, Black men…”

13 Comments:

Blogger Angel said...

interesting...like the plot twist...

Monday, July 17, 2006 at 11:47:00 AM CST  
Blogger Sangindiva said...

This was deeeep...

I like the plot twist too- I also love the woman's voice.
I really fell into this piece :)

Great!

Monday, July 17, 2006 at 2:04:00 PM CST  
Blogger Xave said...

Contrast is a word I really love. Lot's of contrast here. Very rich, and delightfully twisted to boot. Please finish the story, even if you didn’t intend to you should consider it.

Monday, July 17, 2006 at 4:41:00 PM CST  
Blogger nikki said...

nice 'flipping of the script'.

Monday, July 17, 2006 at 7:02:00 PM CST  
Blogger chele said...

I'm also a fan of the plot twists that you use. Great piece.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 8:42:00 AM CST  
Blogger joey said...

love it... so this reminds me of the time (i was JUST telling my man about it last night) that i saw ivander holyfield in a club in LA (i was only 21 and apparently quite full of myself), went to sit at his table and said "i heard you wanted to meet me"....he cleared his throat and said.. "you heard wrong"

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 9:20:00 AM CST  
Blogger Daily Piglet said...

Very twisty plot and very smart! Good one. When's the movie coming out?

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 11:47:00 AM CST  
Blogger The Humanity Critic said...

Great piece man, I dug it.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 4:12:00 PM CST  
Blogger MagicalSis said...

this was really neato...my pulse quickened when she was headed into the shop to do the confrontation and then my heart fell when she got embarrassed.

muy bueno, mi amigo.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 4:29:00 PM CST  
Blogger Rashan Jamal said...

That was tight how you flipped it. Good stuff, brother!

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 6:46:00 PM CST  
Blogger Lyrically speaking said...

Wow, i'm reading this and shaking my head, that's sad though to hear that kind of comment, a powerful post indeed

Friday, July 21, 2006 at 11:37:00 AM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting piece.

Sunday, July 23, 2006 at 2:36:00 PM CST  
Blogger Intelfetish said...

Hell yes to the Icy, so cold, so good for the body... Damn, I would have felt this tall.........

Sunday, July 30, 2006 at 2:18:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home