Friday, March 23, 2007

Finding a New Place


I must admit, attempting to tackle this whole book idea
has been growing a bit frustrating to the point where I
began developing an acute case of paranoia. I mean,
I actually consider this project a direct reflection of who
I am as a person, an author, an African American, a male,
a heterosexual, a father, ect. Taking the last two days to
read Capturing Sunrays in a Glass Jar has place several
things in perspective. The revision process had been
theraputic on so many levels which were confirmed while
reading Donald Justice's Collected Poems (see pic cover
above), my new book of choice for the moment.
In it, T. S. Elliot writes,
"...but the essential advantage for a poet is not, to have
a beautiful world with which to deal; it is to be able to see
beneath both beauty and ugliness; to see the boredom,
and the horror, and the glory."
Talk an instant moment of clarity. Initially, I'd wondered
if I should publish certain pieces because I thought
they'd be too offensive, too riske, or too raw for the
typical reader. Now I understand, the more I embrace
the hidden, darker places within the better, more indepth
my poetry. Look out world, your boy is ready...


2 Comments:

Blogger Shelle said...

i know how frustrating it can be, and all the doubts that come with it...keep stepping forward and keep yelling at the inner voices to shut the hell up! lol
proud of you :)

Friday, March 23, 2007 at 3:06:00 PM CST  
Blogger Angel said...

...we're ready...

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 at 11:11:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home