Wednesday, February 07, 2007

The Redemption

Soft Steps Toward Freedom...

Hearing daddy cry is gut-wrenching,
Especially when it is precipitated by,
“Why don’t your sorry ass get a job,
I can do bad without you,” mommy rants,
watching him pant, struggling to catch
his breath is sickening, the daily tension
is thickening to the point where detention
to prolong the bus ride home has become
first option, wish there were parental auctions,
this way we’d get paid to not have to deal with her,
the last three weeks have been blurred,
screaming in the morning, cursing in the evening,
she is either seething or threatening leaving
which I’m sure, through his ability to endure
has earned daddy an ulcer,
he deserves better,
definitely won’t treat my husband in any similar fashion,
during the creation of his unstable career label
I’ve watched the passion fade, bleach-like,
white to the point of vanishing,
to the point where their interactions are damaging,
to the point where managing the thought of having
to choose between the two has me clamoring
for a way out, a safe place,
a resting temple surrounded by silence,
devoid of violence,
a palace which will serve as a retreat,
something to protect me from the memory
of my father’s feet dangling,
swaying, pendulum-like,
his lifeless body saying,
“I wish I could have protected you,”
I think I’ll give him another chance,
which is why my wrist burn,
blue blood, turned red on my blouse,
now mommy can have this damn house
to herself, and I can have daddy to mine…

14 Comments:

Blogger Little Brown Girl said...

*Tears* This was so sad!!! Excellent but heartbreaking at the same time. The pain of an abusive childhood...cause watching your parents destroyed in a dysfuntional marriage is abuse. Your words are so vivid...as if I am watching it all unfold in front of me...GREAT PIECE!!!

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 at 12:15:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good write, good read! I like the subtly in this piece.

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 at 12:22:00 PM CST  
Blogger Miz JJ said...

I wonder about the age of the protagonist. She seems terribly naive in some spots and wise beyond her years in other parts. The relationship between the daughter and mother in the end almost seems competitive. Definitely thought provoking.

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 at 12:37:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My God...this was serious. Typical Slump write...I love it!

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 at 3:37:00 PM CST  
Blogger Angel said...

your ability to create such vivid imagery both excites and frightens me mr. facade. sometimes i wonder how your mind conjures the words for the things that your mind relays. you are by far one of my favorite writers. and i mean that HONESTLY.

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 at 4:54:00 PM CST  
Blogger Isha said...

Wow. So vivid, a lot to give thought to/about. Often times we as adults do not realize what we put on the little ones in our world and how our actions affect their life.

Being daddy's little girl may mean more than mama's realize.

I love your way with words, but at times fear that place in your head where all of this comes from.

Me thinks' the man is deep!

More please.

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 at 5:37:00 PM CST  
Blogger Believer said...

This woman, mommy, is bitter and angry, and unfortunately has the whole world around her feeding off the same. It makes my spirit heavy! In real life it's the same...folk dumping all their junk on those closest to them.

Enjoyed your work. However, I wonder like Isha, where do you get the ability to go to the dark side.

My first time here and will be back soon.

Peace...

Thursday, February 8, 2007 at 12:21:00 AM CST  
Blogger Gemini Girl aka GG said...

I had to read this 3 times..gotta stop drinking wine..I kept wanting to read it as if it was about a little boy , didn't want it to be about a girl, its just too deep she wants to die..like her father??

Thursday, February 8, 2007 at 6:16:00 AM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! I probably would have never come across you had you not stopped by and gave me a nod, I am so glad i did! Your writing is excellent. I read all of the posts while I was supposed to be working. I can't wait to see more. You are officially Rss'd!

Thursday, February 8, 2007 at 7:48:00 AM CST  
Blogger Dee said...

thanks for dropping by. I'm gonna have to come back and read this again. I'm not "getting" it.

whoa, your background changed right before my eyes.
Nice.

Thursday, February 8, 2007 at 9:15:00 AM CST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Feel you.

Thursday, February 8, 2007 at 9:37:00 AM CST  
Blogger Rethabile said...

This is nice. Pretty sad, but nice.

Saturday, February 10, 2007 at 8:40:00 AM CST  
Blogger Tenacious said...

wow. a beautiful piece, I hope this is going in the book. I can really feel the pain in this. you are extremely talented Slump.

Sunday, February 11, 2007 at 5:46:00 AM CST  
Blogger Tenacious said...

@ Slump

Can I get two of those shirts...medium please

Sunday, February 11, 2007 at 5:47:00 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home