Monday, September 11, 2006

Twin Tower Madness












Reflection Now

Today is the first day I took time to actually think
about how I "feel" concerning 09.11.01.

My initial response when seeing the first plane
crash was, "damn, what was that hitting the building?"
Upon watching the second plane, I immediately thought,
"damn, the chickens are coming home to roost!"
As we all know, America has a long history of
so-called terrorizing her citizens of colour,
being fully aware, I was numb to the situation;
felt absolutely nothing.

Though, I did wonder how many African Americans were on each
plane, how many were in each building and how many died?
I also wondered why I didn't see many African American NYPD,
NYFD or EMSA officials saving persons or being interviewed
about the circumstance.

I looked inward before I looked outward.

I didn't feel the rage shared by most Americans, guess I
felt like it wasn't "my" issue, "other people" dying in
retribution for America's evils at home and abroad.

Today, I approach the event like it was a historic moment,
a footnote in the book of current events. Funny thing is,
I'm more enraged by Tim McVeigh's efforts to destroy
downtown Oklahoma City. I hurt more when I think about
the legacy of slavery. I feel more connected to what
the hurricane Katrina victims suffered. Maybe I have a
bleeding heart for African American, Oklahoman struggles.
Maybe I sense a closer connection to those who look like me,
talk like me or react in a similar fashion.

Who knows, I certainly don't, either way, am I less American for
being detached, for growing tired of repeatedly hearing about
09.11.01?

What is American?

I don't know that answer, however, I do know the only
GOOD thing to come out of 09.11.01,
is African Americans have somewhat lost their Public Enemy #1 status.
Hope the new middle eastern or united states born sand Nigger
(as I've heard them so affectionately called) have the strength
to endure like we do.

A bit of advice, remember, all of nothing is the same.

...and none of us are necessarily privy to the actions of others
who are similar; directly or indirectly...

Just My 0.02

8 Comments:

Blogger Blu Jewel said...

I posted this morning on the same topic and chose not to go into depth about my personal feelings. I, like you, was deeply angered by Tim McVeighs attack especially when he was NOT called a terrorist. What he did was a terrorist act, but I guess because he's white, that he's exempt from the moniker. Whatever! I almost lost a family member that day and knew others who were also in that predicament and waited hours to finally get that confirming call that they were well. I know others who were called to duty that day and those that followed.

Your proverbial 2 cents are appreciated because they're yours and they're heartfelt regardless of how you felt/feel toward 9/11. Keeping real is what really counts man.

Monday, September 11, 2006 at 11:37:00 AM CST  
Blogger Nikki Smith said...

I understand what you're talking about because I have professors, family, friends, and ect. who feel similar if not the same.

Monday, September 11, 2006 at 1:25:00 PM CST  
Blogger Angel said...

a funny story that my mama told me this afternoon. as you know, today is my granny's birthday. so this morning my little 5-year-old cousin kobe asked his grandma (my granny's sister) what all the fuss was about on the news and radio and newspapers about "nine one one." his grandma told him that it was in celebration for my granny's birthday. he asked her, "everyone in the world knows it's her birthday?" his grandma said "yes." kobe said "she's famous!" ;-) LOL

Monday, September 11, 2006 at 2:53:00 PM CST  
Blogger A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

you brought up two interesting points

the chicken's coming home to roust was my immediate repsonse to the happenings and the girl who woke me up by phoning and telling me to turn on the television was truly upset at my candor. it was the first thing that came out of my mouth and i stand by it. As atrocious as the crime was, the truth remains it was a long time coming for this country of ours who has been a war monger in other countries for years and years.

2) The Oklahoma City Bombings. Having roots on both sides of my family in Oklahoma that meant allot to me. Seeing that memorial really made me realize how awful a crime it truly was and until America is ready to admit that it breeds hate crimes, warriors without a cause and terrorists, we're in a pathetic state of being.

Great post, sorry i was so long winded!

Monday, September 11, 2006 at 6:30:00 PM CST  
Blogger Shelle said...

funny, you would be surprised just how many feel the way you do.
these past week i have constantly been flipping the channel everytime a mere mention of it pops up. once again the air waves are flooded, and yes it was tragic, and yes so many were lost..but i am so tired of it, just as much as the jon bonet crap.
i have a close friend who was late for work that day, and she worked at "windows of the world" top floor...thank god for small miracles. anyway, the american people and this govt is so damn arrogant, no one deserves to die...but this was a long time coming.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 at 10:38:00 AM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Impressive points Slump. I can't say that I felt "rage" either, mainly sadness for all those babies losing their Moms and Dads.

I thought it a bit hypocritical that all of the sudden everyone became Patriotic with the influx of American flag stickers and shirts, etc.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 at 11:54:00 PM CST  
Blogger layne bowden said...

I do know the only GOOD thing to come out of 09.11.01, is African Americans have somewhat lost their Public Enemy #1 status.

Uh-huh! You betta preach!! (LOL) I'm glad I'm not the only one who actually got tired of hearing about it after the first year anniversary. Damn!! The media, the movie industry, Americans in general... we sho' know how to beat a dead horse, don't we?

I second Dominique... "Great Post"!

Peace.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 at 4:29:00 PM CST  
Blogger Melissa Ayotte said...

I know this is old but I can't sleep and am catching up on blogs I enjoy reading.

Personally, I think this disconnection to events like 9/11 is due to most of us feeling like our emotions are being manipulated by the media. I am so sad for all of those people. So sad, I can't bear to think about it. At the same time, I get so sick of being given a "slant" that suggests I should feel a certain way or act a certain way depending on what channel I watch. I think this ability to disconnect might go double or triple for populations that are not necessarily represented by the media fairly or at all (i.e. African Americans, Native Americans, Democrats in some states, hell Americans.) Yes. Americans are feeling underepresented by the media. My point is that people of color are not the only ones disengaging and disassociating themselves from what we are being told is "American." It is a sad time in American History and politics. Sad. Sad. I just read something recently about this administration planting journalists that are paid to represent their point of view while other journalist are being denied access to press events for not representing this administration the way they want them to. Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. Turn the news off and go look for information elsewhere I say.

Sunday, September 24, 2006 at 2:43:00 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home